When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
If you lack the average frame, the majority of regular office chairs are unfortunately not designed to accommodate your stature. Manufacturers often focus on producing chairs that are perfect for persons between 5’3″ and 5’8″. If you are smaller than this, even ergonomically designed chairs may not feel so comfortable.
People who are under the statistically average height for their gender claim ordinary-sized chairs aggravate existing pains and aches. In some cases, these chairs even create new aches, making it hard to remain productive during work hours.
In a hurry? Below Are Some of the Most Popular Desk Chair for Short Person:
In this post, we will dive deep into the vital details of chairs ergonomically designed for shorter people. We have also prepared a winning list of 5 of the best desk chairs for short persons.
Let’s get started!
Benefits of Investing In the Right Chair for Your Body Structure
If your work line involves sitting at your computer for extended periods, having a chair that enhances your comfort is crucial.
Here are compelling reasons to invest in a chair ideal for your body stature:-
A chair designed for your smaller or petite body structure will offer you incredible comfort levels. By extension, this will allow you to work continuously without fear of nursing aches and pains at the end of the day.
Your overall productivity depends on a lot of things, including your physical comfort. A chair that hardly causes any physical strains is bound to cause an increase in your productivity.
Maintaining proper posture goes a long way in ensuring you enjoy the best musculoskeletal health. A good chair will keep your spine and muscles properly aligned, reducing the risk of suffering from back or neck pains.
5 Best Desk Chair for Short People
Of course, there are more desk chair options for ordinary framed people. Shorter people have a more limited selection, although we still managed to find 5 excellent products for their body structure.
Check them out!
- SIDIZ T50 Highly Adjustable Ergonomic Office Chair (TNB500LDA)
- GIVE FREEDOM TO YOUR BODY : T50 is not only beautiful, but also practical in the ergonomic point of view. It ideally supports your back, helping you stay comfortable all day long. With T50 moving naturally with you, you‘ll be supported in every single position. Experience SIDIZ’s advanced ergonomic technology with T50. Key Product Features
- ERGONOMIC S-CURVE DESIGN: The beautifully-shaped backrest makes your waist remain in an S-shape and prevents back pain while weight on the lumber disk is distributed properly.
- EASILY CUSTOMIZABLE : With the advanced multi-limited tilting mechanism, you may set the chair to 5 different tilting angles, and lean to the degree you wish. You can also change the seat slope or slide, and adjust the armrest and the headrest as you wish. These allow you to personalize the chair to your preference.
Top on the list is the SIDIZ T50, one of the best ergonomic chairs for petite people. It is one of the top-selling models in the market, with at least one chair being sold every 2 minutes.
So, what makes this chair tick for shorter people?
First, it offers a fully ergonomic design specific for smaller frames. Secondly, it comes with fully adjustable features. This is one of those models that promise you the best value for your money. It even supports forward tilting, a feature only found in other more expensive office chairs.
There are numerous praiseworthy features, including a waterfall seat edge that relieves pressure under your hips and thighs for enhanced comfort. In case you suffer from chronic back pains, this is a chair that can help alleviate the aches by promoting proper posture.
Moreover, the seat height can go as low as 15.7″. This is certainly an extremely appealing feature, especially for those shorter than 5′. You can also adjust the seat depth to accommodate your shorter legs and generally prevent your seat from cutting off circulation.
- Packed with features that enhance comfort
- 3-way adjustable arms
- Forward tilting function
- Adjustable seat height and depth
- Breathable mesh back
- Prone to getting dirty easily
- Flash Furniture Desk Chair with Wheels | Swivel Chair with Mid-Back Black Mesh and LeatherSoft Seat
- Mid-back desk chair with wheels
- Our chair conforms to ANSI/BIFMA standard X5.1-17; Mesh back with built-in lumbar support
- Swivel seat on wheels for easy maneuvering
The flash furniture desk chair is unique for its ability to accommodate a wider range of users. This includes smaller people who may find average-sized chairs awfully uncomfortable. But then again, we expected this of Flash furniture, which is a brand renowned for its wide selection of comfortable and ergonomically designed office chairs.
One of the best features of this model is the ventilated mesh back. This breathable mesh material promotes proper air circulation, keeping you cool and comfortable when sitting for long work shifts.
Something else that makes this chair a masterpiece is the flip-up arms. While this may sound like a simple feature, it gives you the option of either using armrests or doing without them—whatever tickles your fancy.
Take it from me; your overall comfort highly depends on the unique design of the chair you choose. With this model, you benefit from a waterfall seat style that features a slight downward curve. This ensures proper circulation and relieves your legs of undue pressure while seated for hours on end.
- A simple, yet appealing style for any office
- Excellent lumbar support from the mesh back
- Swivel function for easy maneuvers
- Pneumatic seat height adjustment
- Well-padded flip-up arms
- Waterfall seat design for added comfort
- Prone to producing some noise if not properly assembled
- Alera Etros Series Petite Mid-Back Multifunction Mesh Chair, Black
- An economical choice for mesh comfort
- Designed for the petite user, but adjustable to fit all
- Three-lever multifunction mechanism for complete control of the back angle relative to seat, seat slide and forward tilt
If you are a petite person on a budget, here is a perfect desk chair for you. While it may not offer as much adjustability as high-end chairs, its key features and dimensions are meant to suit smaller people. One of the features we liked was the low minimum seat height of only 17.25″.
Something else that makes the Alera Etros Series Petite ideal for small-structured people is that it offers an adjustable seat depth of up to 16″. This makes it perfect for people as short as 5″. Even though the lumbar support is fixed, the backrest height is adjustable by 3″. A shorter person would find the minimum settings perfect!
There are no major turn-offs to report, although we did notice that the low degree of backrest recline. If you like rocking, this chair only allows a slight recline when you apply force.
Overall, this may not be the most ergonomic option for petite people. It is, however, a budget-friendly chair that gives you solid value for the money.
- Designed for petite users with small seat depth and height
- Adjustable backrest height and seat depth
- Mesh back offers outstanding lumber support
- Budget-friendly option
- The backrest only reclines slightly
- Boss Office Products Perfect Posture Delux Fabric Task Chair with Adjustable Arms in Black
- Fabric type: 100% Polypropylene
- Contoured task/office chair from Boss with lumbar support; waterfall-contour seat relieves stress to legs
- Nylon, swivel 5-star base with double wheel casters; padded seat covered in durable tweed fabric
There are good reasons to settle for the Boss Office perfect posture if you are on the hunt for the perfect ergonomically designed chair for short people. I have a thing for products from this brand because they always feature premium quality materials and boast of integrated functions that enhance your comfort when sitting for long hours.
This model has a back frame and seat cushion that is covered in a soft and comfortable fabric. Even though the fibers are robust, this fabric is breathable and does an effective job of removing humidity on clothes.
Moreover, the seat height and depth are adjustable, allowing you to set the perfect back frame for your physique. Two adjustable knobs allow you to change the height of the chair or the armrests. From our research, such adjustability levels can only be found in more expensive chair models.
This desk chair can accommodate users of up to 250 pounds. The weight of the chair and its user are held up securely by a nylon 5-star base. Another huge perk is that the recliner function works smoothly, and the double wheel casters protect your floors from getting scratched.
- Thick padding on seat and back area for extra comfort
- Tough yet breathable fabric
- Excellent lumbar support
- Waterfall seat design promotes proper circulation
- Reliable adjustability levels
- The seat could be more comfortable if it had more material filling at the front edge
- ORVEAY Office Chair, Ergonomic Desk Chair Adjustable Swiveling Task Chair Mesh with High Back and Seat
- 【Ergonomic Backrest】- Designed with PU bonded leather, ORVEAY Office Chair creates comfortable backrest, promises our ergonomic office chair backrest with lumbar support to help you keep in the right position during long time working.
- 【Padding Seat】- Made of thick sponge and padded leather material, our computer desk chair seat is thick and resilient, thus it is perfect to offer a relaxed comfortable sitting experience during working study or gaming.
- 【Multi-Function Mechanism】- Pneumatic controls make it easier to raise or lower the seat. The rocking mode of ORVEAY leather office chair can let you relaxed from the heavy daily work, pull out the handle to start rocking and pull it in to stop.
Last but not least is a no-frills office chair with a gorgeous all-black design. The Orveay brags of a bevy of adjustability options, including the ability to raise or lower your seat using the pneumatic control system. At a glance, it’s easy to tell that this is a premium chair made from top-grade materials that ensure comfort and unrivaled durability.
Your comfort is guaranteed with the well-padded foam seat. Even though the padding is thick, it is still breathable with excellent ventilation for maximum comfort. This prevents excessive sweating when working for extended periods.
While this is a fairly affordable model, it boasts of all the features you need in a practical office chair. It even comes with dual caster wheels that ensure easy gliding over different surfaces, including carpeted floors. Aesthetics-wise, the seat also ticks all the right boxes with its smooth contours that give it a fashionable and modern look.
At the price point, most of the features and adjustable settings of this model are a bonus. Compared to other top-selling office chairs in the class, this one ticks for its ease of assembly, quality materials, and comfort.
- Quality construction for enhanced longevity
- Top-notch materials, including PU bonded leather
- A comfortable backrest offers excellent lumbar support
- Well-padded seat for extra comfort
- Adjustable height
- Nothing worth mentioning
What to Consider Before Buying
Unfortunately, most manufacturers target the larger market. This means they mainly produce chairs ideal for average-sized people. If you have a smaller frame, make sure you choose pretty adjustable models.
Here are other proven tips for finding the perfect chair for your body frame.
- Seat Depth
Shorter people are better off using chairs that don’t feature a very deep seat pan. After all, you don’t want your legs to dangle off the floor because this will apply pressure to the soft tissues on your thighs’ underside and cause circulation problems.
To get it right, consider chairs whose seat depth is no more than 18″. Moreover, ensure that this depth is adjustable to allow easier customization.
Irrespective of your height, there is an easy formula for calculating the perfect seat depth. When seated, measure the distance from the end of your inner thigh to the end of your buttock. Make sure you get at least 2″ of extra space between the back of your knees and the seat. This space enhances proper circulation to your thighs.
- Seat Height
The majority of modern office chairs have adjustable seat heights — between 18″-22″. If you are a short person, you need a chair whose height can be lowered to 18″ or lower.
To figure out whether a specific seat height is perfect for you, measure the distance from your knees’ back to the floor. In case you are having challenges finding a model that goes low enough, you have the option of using a footrest.
- Lumbar Support
Nothing is as vital as finding a desk chair that offers adequate lower back support. The lumbar support of a chair is that bump that molds to the natural curvature of your spine. Because most with fixed lumbar support are ideal for average-sized people, shorter people need to focus on getting chairs with adjustable lumbar support. Ensure the backrest can adjust to support your lower back.
Desk chairs that feature armrests tend to be a little more expensive than those without. If you opt for a model with armrests, ensure they are fully adjustable to bring them close to your body for enhanced comfort. Additionally, well-padded arms keep that bony part of the elbows comfortable and reduce the risk of cubital tunnel syndrome.
Your financial means should play a leading role in dictating the selection of chairs for short people that you can consider. Before going for the cheapest model, you can find, remember that office chairs are long-term investments. It is not every day that you hit the markets in search of this piece of office furniture.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that you should spend a fortune. What I mean is that there are far more important aspects to consider than just the price of a chair. To get it right, focus on finding a perfect model for your body structure that is within your financial means.
As a shorter person, I fully understand the additional comfort concerns people of my height face when choosing a desk chair. I hope our buyer’s guide equips you with all the tricks and tips you need to find the perfect chair for your structure that allows you to sit comfortably for 8 hours or more each day.
Better still; check out our recommended list of the 5 best office chairs for short people. These are models we handpicked for their adjustability and excellent support features for persons with a petite frame.
Hop on in and find a chair that perfectly fits you!
Other Popular Articles:
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.