When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more
Are you looking for the best receipt scanner to help make your life easier? Keeping track of your invoices and receipts can be a daunting task, especially if you opt to handle record keeping tasks the old fashioned way. There is always a risk of essential receipts getting lost in a sea of other documents.
In a Hurry? Below are some Best Receipt Scanners:
Fortunately, investing in the best receipt scanners can take the stress off managing your paper documents.
We did intensive research to find 5 of the best machines in the market designed to help you keep tabs of each receipt and retrieve what you need quickly and conveniently. These are models that allow automatic extraction by keying in information such as payment method, merchant, and date.
Check them out!
Review of the Best Receipt Scanners
Receipt scanners help to tame the tornado of documents and receipts around your office or home.
Dive right in and take a peek at our top 5 receipt scanner picks that dramatically cut down the time and muscle needed to track and organize expenses.
- 【Go Paperless】Doxie Go SE Wi-Fi delivers smarter portable scanning that you can take and sync anywhere – no computer required.
- 【Easy Wireless Scanning】Doxie's rechargeable battery, included memory, integrated Wi-Fi, and included Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad apps make it easy (and fun!) to go paperless. Simply insert your paper to scan full-color pages in just 8 seconds at up to 600 dpi. Scan up to 400 pages per charge, store up to 4,000 pages before needing to sync.
- 【Tiny and Battery Powered】Doxie is tiny – the size of a rolled up magazine – which makes it easy to tuck it in your bag or a drawer when you're done scanning. Whether you’re scanning at your desk or on the go, Doxie gives you instant access to your scans wherever you are.
First on the list is an intuitive portable scanner, the Doxie Go SE. This device is made by Apparent Corporation, a US-based hardware/software company with over two decades of experience in the industry. Some of the best features of this machine include the ability to make full-color scans and a long-lasting rechargeable battery.
This is a compact size unit that is no bigger than a rolled-up magazine. Its small size allows easy storage in a drawer or a bag when you need to scan essential receipts on the go. You get plenty of punch to scan 400 pages max on a single charge, and store or archive 4,000 pages max.
Organizing and sharing scanned copies on your PC or Mac is easy because scanned data is accessible through the cloud. Feel free to use any cloud platform of your choice, including iCloud, Dropbox, and Evernote. Moreover, this receipt scanner supports a range of file formats such as PNG and JPEG.
In terms of resolution, the machine can scan full-color pages up to 600 dpi (dots per inch). Apart from producing clean and clear scans, this unit can operate with speed, allowing timely completion of scanning projects.
- Capable of producing full-color scans
- Fast scanning at high resolution
- Overall good software
- Compact, lightweight and portable
- Long-lasting rechargeable battery
- A range of smart and intuitive features
- Excellent memory (can store up to 4,000 scans)
- USB charger not included
- Sensitive document feeder
- Easily Scan, archive and organize file
- Save files onto a microSD/microSDHC memory card up to 32GB
- Approximately 1.5-inch class color LCD panel to preview scans
Here is another portable scanner that allows you to scan different media types, including photos, drawings, receipts, magazine pages, and fabric patterns. Just like the Doxie Go SE, Vupoint Solutions Magic Wand is compact, lightweight, and portable. The compact size gives you the flexibility to carry your scanner with you to different events such as family gatherings.
We took the time to test and analyze a range of models from different brands. What makes this one truly exceptional is that it also comes with a convenient protective cover. Not many brands offer this plus a microfiber cleaning cloth as a bonus.
Something else is that the receipt scanner can capture full color or black and white images. It allows storing up to 32GB of data in a micro SD card, and you can save up to 5,000 files. The best part is that it can save data in different formats, including PDF and JPEG.
Speed-wise, this model takes the crown home for having the ability to scan huge 8.5″ x12.5″ documents in as little as 2 seconds. The images’ quality is not compromised, and you can get up to 1200 dpi high-resolution scans.
Other impressive features include the 1.5″ color LCD screen that allows previewing of images before scanning. There is also an auto-feed dock feature and bonus OCR (optical character recognition) editing software that allows you to turn scanned files into editable and searchable files.
- Compact and portable
- Excellent quality at a reasonable price range
- High- speed scanning
- Excellent OCR editing software
- MicroSD Card, protective case and microfiber cloth included
- Up to 1200 dpi
- Doesn’t allow connecting to cloud services
- Fastest, smallest and lightest wireless mobile single-sheet-fed document scanner in its class (1) ― ideal for easy, on-the-go scanning.
- Groundbreaking speed ― scans a single page in as fast as 4 seconds (2).
- Wirelessly scan critical documents ― scan to a PC, Mac, iOS or Android device (3). Operating Temperature - 41 ° to 95 °F (5 ° to 35 °C)
The WorkForce ES-60W is a wireless portable document scanner that is making top sales in Epson’s lineup. This is an excellent machine to use in the office or during field projects. Its highlight is that it can scan single page documents in less than 4 seconds.
You can choose from 300, 600 and 1200 dpi depending on the resolution you want. Typically, the scan speeds are faster when scanning black or gray documents using 300 dpi. You can use the machine to scan ID cards, receipts, business cards, or documents sized between 2.2″ x 2.2″ and 8.5″ x 72″.
This model supports both USB and wireless connectivity. It is intuitively designed to automatically detect between wireless and USB without any user intervention. There is an LCD screen where you can check out the wireless status of the device and the battery levels.
Another great feature is the Epson ScanSmart Software. It has the Nuance OCR that makes PDFs searchable and allows editing of scanned files. For your convenience, this device also comes bundled with a driver (TWAIN) for easy integration of additional document management software.
Overall, this is a lightweight machine packed with plenty of features to make scanning documents a breeze. It weighs less than one pound, making it perfect for scanning on the go. Better still, it is compatible with Mac and Windows systems and allows you to scan documents to iOs and Android devices.
- Portable, compact and lightweight
- Fast scanning at 300, 600 or 1200 dpi
- Supports automatic feeding mode
- Supports wireless and USB connectivity
- Designed to allow smooth document management
- Only ideal for light-duty scanning needs
- Patented Flattening Curve Technology: ET16-P shoots 3 laser lines, which are harmless, to analyze the contours of an open book or bound document, calculating the page curve of the materials, finally output a flattened page.
- Easy and Fast: With the 1.5 S/P scanning speed, ET16-P can easily finish scanning a 300 page book within 10 min, which is 10 times faster than traditional scanner. Thanks to the Auto-Scan Tech, it is even easier to scan documents and books. All you need to do is just flipping pages. The foot pedal is also recommended as a way to trigger the scanner.
- A3 & A4 Applicable: ET-16 P is friendly to both A3 & A4 Format materials, or any size in between. Perfect choice for exam papers, blueprints, magazines, catalogs, and even large books without a problem.
The world of books is fascinating. Real reading fanatics understand that whenever they are forced to leave a book they love behind, it’s like they give up a small portion of their soul. Like receipts, books take up plenty of space, and it’s not practical to keep all the hard copies you buy.
Fortunately, you have the CZUR ET16 plus. This is a professional document camera scanner designed to serve as a high-speed book scanner. You can take clear images of test papers, contracts, manuscripts, photos, books, etc. Whether you work in a school, university, administration office, or have a full library at home; this unit will come in handy.
For such an advanced machine, its user-friendliness came as a complete surprise. This scanner offers multiple operating modes, including foot pedal, hand button, software button, and scanner button. It supports not only batch operations, but also basic image processing functions like crop and rotate.
Unlike traditional book scanners that are complicated to use, expensive, slow, and bulky in size, this machine supports fast scanning, has a somewhat compact design, and is reasonably priced. It’s computing abilities, and image processing makes it nearly 20 times faster and more precise than traditional book scanners. If you want to build a digital library, this is a scanner we highly recommend.
- The best smart book scanner
- Scans books, documents, and even solid objects
- More compact, fast and user-friendly than traditional book scanners
- Saves scans in PDF, TIFF and JPEG formats
- Relatively inexpensive
- It takes a while to master how to use the CZUR’s software
- SCAN TO CLOUD — scan up to 30ppm directly into integrated cloud services (Raven Cloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Box, SharePoint, OneDrive, Quickbooks Online), USB Drive, Email, FTP, SMB Share or Fax
- SEARCHABLE DOCUMENTS — all scanned documents produce searchable PDFs with OCR. Free Raven Cloud subscription included for unlimited secure cloud storage.
- WIRELESS SCANNING — Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity allows you to scan and send documents wirelessly without the need for a computer
Last but not least is the Raven Original Document Scanner. This is an attractive machine for anyone who needs a cheap and quick scanner. The unit offers plenty of features and functions to scan a range of documents up to the A4 format.
Unfortunately, this device has a maximum optical dpi of 600. This means it’s more suited for scanning documents, not artwork or photos. On the bright side, it supports document sharing and even comes with a Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection for easy, fast, and convenient transfer of images.
Speed-wise, the machine will not let you down. It can scan about 17 sheets each minute in simplex mode. In scanning automatic duplex mode, the speed doubles to 34 images per minute. This is a beast that can scan about 1500 sheets every day, making it ideal for meeting the scanning demands of homes and small businesses.
The Raven document scanner offers all-rounded paperless solutions. It provides an easy and fast means to digitize receipts, invoices, and receipts into fully searchable PDF files and store them securely in the cloud.
- Excellent for scanning documents, receipts, invoices, and contracts
- Fast scanning (up to 17 sheets per minute)
- Scan directly to the cloud, email or fax
- Supports wireless scanning
- User friendly with a 7″ LCD screen
- Not the best scanner for high-resolution images (600 dpi max)
Types of Receipt Scanners
There are two types of receipt scanners to choose from:-
- Desktop Receipt Scanner
The desktop receipt scanner is perfect for use within the office. It pretty much resembles regular scanners and can be connected to a PC or smartphone through the internet.
One of the main perks of having this type of scanner is that it allows managing a range of receipts at the same go. It features feeders capable of scanning a batch of documents simultaneously.
- Mobile Receipt Scanners
As the name suggests, these are portable scanners. They are sleek, compact, and lightweight enough to allow receipt scanning on the go. To conveniently use this machine from an outdoor location, make sure it is adequately charged beforehand.
Receipt Scanner Buying Guide
Receipt scanners are different from other types of scanners. They not only scan your receipts and documents but also provide a convenient means to manage them professionally.
Typically, these machines use smart apps, programs, or software to read receipts, retrieve data and transport it to other bookkeeping applications such as Turbo tax or QuickBooks. This dramatically makes it easier to sort out bills, manage expenses, and even create balance sheets.
Let’s look at some of the most important aspects to consider when searching for the best receipt scanners for storing and organizing business documents, tax filings, or financial transactions.
This is perhaps the most essential factor to consider before choosing the machine to purchase. Nothing is as crucial as ensuring that you will get clear copies of scanned documents.
To get it right, consider the dots per inch (DPI) of different models. Higher DPI is vital if you want to pick up even the smallest of details. Scanners with about 600 dpi are perfect for scanning receipts.
Receipt scanners can scan more than just regular receipts. They can also scan essential office documents such as tax filings. In case you want to scan both sides of a document at the same time, consider scanners with a duplex feature.
A duplex feature can save you time and effort when scanning documents such as ID cards or magazine pages. If you are looking to save time, make sure the duplex feature does not compromise the machine’s scanning speed.
To some people, the speed of scanning is a priority. Receipt scanners are not created equal, and some tend to have a faster scanning speed than others.
If the speed of scanning is of the essence, ensure it will not sacrifice the scanning precision. Trust me; some models are pure junk for their susceptibility to issues like blurry scans and jams. From a professional perspective, these concerns are closely allied with the speed of scanning.
Technology keeps evolving in the world of receipt scanners. Currently, you can find models with advanced features such as auto-correct. This allows you to instantly fix small faults such as incorrect color detection, upside-down documents, and blank pages.
Here’s the deal, while having fancy features on your machine is good, it makes no sense to pay for features you don’t need. Like most devices, advanced features are likely to affect a receipt scanner’s price tag.
- File Export
I’m guessing you want more than just a regular scanner because to want to do more than just scan your receipts. Well, some models allow you to organize and even share your scans. This means you will have more options than just to save them in PDF form.
Machines designed to allow exporting of files make it easier to send your data to spreadsheets, receipt scanner software, or document management apps.
Let’s be honest; Wi-Fi connectivity makes everything easier and faster. Whether you want to upload, organize, or share the scanned documents, machines that allow internet connectivity makes getting the job done a breeze.
- Is there particular receipt management software you recommend for receipt scanners?
Just about all receipt scanners have pre-installed receipt management software. However, some of the best software includes Neat and Shoeboxed.
Generally, any software that allows you to extract data or details from your scans and manage them will help you organize your data faster and more conveniently.
- Which receipt scanner can be paired with QuickBooks?
The majority of modern scanners, including those on our list, allow direct importation of receipt data to QuickBooks. One model that pair perfectly with QuickBooks is the Raven Original Document Scanner.
- Can I use scanned receipts when filing returns?
Yes. The IRS began accepting scanned receipts from as far back as 1997. Even so, make sure you have scanned copies of your receipts just in case the IRS demands an audit.
There you have it, a detailed review of the best receipt scanners in the current markets. You simply need to find one that is a perfect match for your needs.
Our recommended models tick for their ease of use, speed, precision, and durability. Trust me; these are machines designed to make your life more organized and your work a ton easier!
Other Popular Articles:
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.