As a business owner, you know that your company’s success relies on the availability of qualified laborers. Your team ensures that every task is completed to the highest standards and in a timely manner. However, it can be difficult to find quality talent as unemployment rates continue to rise nationwide. Let’s explore how you can attract qualified laborers for your business by implementing these strategies into your hiring process:
How can business owners attract qualified laborers?
- Advertise your open positions on social media, local newspapers, or craigslist. Include as much detail about the job as possible.
- Be flexible with your hiring process and have a selection of interview questions, do not just go through one round if they seem like the right person for the position.
- Consider that sometimes people need to work in order to provide childcare or because their spouse is out of work – offer candidates flexibility but also ask them what hours they are available.
- Give them a chance to work for your company by providing an opportunity to interview over Skype or via phone call, rather than constantly being in the office.
- Offer competitive salaries or commission plans that are on par with the market. If you’re looking for manual labor, offer at least $15 per hour if they have skills and are highly skilled tradesmen.
A recent study by the staffing firm OfficeTeam revealed that 63% of workers said it was important for a boss to thank them every day, while 51% said they would rather have a thank you than a pay raise (Jensen 2005).
The mood of an office or company really does attract certain types of workers. So what can employers do to attract positive results?
Some other suggestions on how business owners can attract laborers
Reduce levels of stress
Reduce stress in your office by providing quiet rooms where staff can work, reducing computer screens on desks, having regular breaks and offering help with workloads. “A good manager must be aware of the pressures their employees are under and this will be reflected in relationships, performance and productivity” (Jensen 2005).
Create a fun working environment
Create an attractive office by “making it fun for your workers to come into work. Provide daycare facilities, organize team-building activities, have regular competitions” (Bingham 2004).
Create a sense of purpose
Create an attractive office by “developing a vision and communicating that vision with passion” (Jensen 2005). Make sure there is plenty of opportunity for career advancement.
Hire the right people
Hire good people to attract other good people. According to Jensen (2005): “When you hire someone be very careful you attract someone who is a good fit for that position. This does not mean hiring the person with the greatest experience but rather hire someone who has the right experience and personality to do the job.”
Create a sense of community
Create an attractive office by “creating a family-like atmosphere in which employees feel part of a group” (Jensen 2005). Remember that people who attract other people are often extroverts.
Make sure employees are celebrated
Make the workplace attractive by listening to ideas and suggestions, making changes if necessary. Create a sense of community by “celebrating success and accomplishments as a team”.
Be an inspiration
Make the workplace attractive and interesting by “setting high standards, providing opportunities for growth” (Jensen 2005).
Make everyone feel valued
Make sure employees attract other employees by “showing a genuine interest in your workers. Take an interest in their lives as well as their work – this will attract great people to you.” This is one of the most important things to attract workers: “Understand what motivates your employees.” (Bingham 2004).
If you’re a company with open positions, make sure your job posting is written in such a way that it attracts the right kind of qualified workers. The keywords and description should be enticing enough to catch their attention so they’ll take action on applying for the position. This will also help attract talent from across various industries who are looking for something new and exciting!